Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
So, you decided you want to come to Bali for a while. The most appealing place to stay is at a villa. It’s your own pimpass house with a sexy pool, kitchen, Balinese style master bedrooms, outdoor showers and champagne bathrooms. Who wouldn’t start calling you Daddy?
Check these babies out…
If you’re only coming for holiday, you can easily get your compound on Airbnb and rent it short term, no more to it than that. That’s what I’m doing for my birthday.
However, if you want to live here long term and get one for you and your mates, I’ve got some interesting eye-opening lessons that I had to learn the hard way.
My two girlfriends and I were one day away from moving into our villa here in Canggu when it all fell apart. I won’t go into the details of our amateur moves, but I will share what I learned from the pros as this may come valuable for you or me one day.
Here is the lowdown for a long-term villa rental:
- Chase the V: Airbnb will offer villas at a premium. Join local community housing groups on Facebook. Posts for rental villas are endless. Another tried and true approach, drive up and down the streets. Knock on some doors. If you’re interested in getting linked up to a Bali community housing group on FB, sign up for my blog in the footer and shoot me an email request.
- This is a long-term relationship: Rental duration is usually 6 or 12 months unless you’ve cornered a landlord. If so, you can try to get away with 3 months, but know the Westerners are all over the market just like they would be at home.
- Congrats, you have a high maintenance girlfriend, er, home, kinda: Here are the keys to the palace, but if anything breaks down, don’t call your landlord. It’s on you and your flat mates to fix the pool, the ac, the fridge, etc. Know homes here are not built with the same quality, so keep this in mind as you’re tallying up expenses. Thankfully, living here is cheap.
- Be ready to whip it out: Bring all the cash you are willing to put down when you see the Villa. When I say, “all the cash”, I mean all the cash for the full duration of your stay.
- Don’t be easy: Whatever the rental villa price, if you’re about to roll in Scarface style to whip out this upfront cash on the coffee table, know you have the advantage to push for 75-80%. Others have argued you can go as low as 50-65%. Damn!
- Don’t let go of your villa boner: This move is a bit ruthless, so up to you if you can go through with it. Apparently, the locals don’t like or can’t ask anyone to leave their home. With your cash piled up in front of them, stay put in silence or chat with your mates, but don’t leave the landlord’s home until they accept your offer. I don’t know if I could do that.
If this feels a bit more complicated than what you were expecting, then seek out a room in a villa. There are plenty of people looking to fill their places. These are also found in the community housing groups.
Trust, you can still get your Champagne bathroom on.
Remember though, renting a villa for short term (on Airbnb) is an easy process. Why doesn’t one rent from the site long term? Because the cost will be marked the hell up.
Follow me on Instagram @Elisaut for more fun sexy photo stories!
‘Til Next, Elisa